Wednesday, February 27, 2008

'object of comfort'.

i am not sure why, but i was reminded of this term a while ago. immediately i thought of my little red furry blanket that i had since kinder, and i had it all the way till secondary school i think. that's almost 10 years. i remember pulling it behind me wherever i went in the house, and it will always, always be with me during bedtime. it is the thing that made me enjoyed good sleeps.

it was interesting, cos when that red blanket was thrown away, i recalled being really upset, and i cried about it. and my mum rationally said that it was just a blanket, why did it evoke such emotions. and i realised, it was cos my source of comfort then was placed on an object, and when its taken away from me, i felt vulnerable, and a little lost.

similarly, as i grew up, i quickly replaced the red blanket with a cardigan that has furry insides. it was a gift from a friend when i was in college. it is still with me now, and pretty much, had a role in provision of comfort as well.

however, i thank God that the difference now, is that Jesus found me, and He is my source of comfort and strength in all times. placing my hope in Him has helped me understand how easy it is to 'misplace' or 'transfer' our hopes of deriving comfort from an object, or even from a person. and I am grateful that through various circumstances, it always brings me to remember that Jesus is the ultimate Comforter and Strength. He never gets discarded; He never gets weary; He bears with me in all grace; and He understands me fully well; and importantly, He desires to communicate with me at all times despite all situations, even when i fail Him. i am thankful for Him.

thank you Jesus, for being my 'friend of comfort' at all times.

No comments: